Protect your Shopify Store with OTP Login & Two-Factor/Multi-Factor Authentication
Why is authentication necessary on Shopify?
Shopify is the most trending and reliable eCommerce platform to start selling your products. But with a growing business and customer base comes the responsibility of maintaining the security of the website and safeguarding customer’s data as well as protecting your store’s data.
An eCommerce website stores sensitive information of the customers like credit/debit card details, personal information, user preferences etc, it is extremely necessary to secure such information.
What are the effects of using a less secure authentication method?
According to statistics most of the Shopify stores use the traditional password-based authentication methods. A password-based authentication method can be easily bypassed or compromised using cyber attacks. There are more than 1 million passwords stolen every week.
A comprised password can lead the hackers to your store’s data or customer’s database. Hence, to prevent such a catastrophe it is necessary to use highly secure authentication methods.
Many organisations worldwide are incentivising users for enabling Two-Factor Authentication.
Types of companies enforcing Two-Factor Authentication on their Users
- Providing incentives: A few Gaming companies are providing free incentives like giving paid in-game buyable for free, some rare in-game items for free.
- Making 2FA compulsory for accessing certain features: Companies like Apple have made it compulsory for users to activate 2 FA for accessing features leading to or storing any form of sensitive information.
- Forcing 2FA: Some banks have only one authentication method that is 2 FA for accessing their services.
- Billing discount: Some companies give discounts on monthly subscriptions/bills for customers who have set up 2FA for the first time.
- Coupon Codes: A few services providing companies give free coupons or one-time discounts to customers enabling 2FA
What can you do to secure your Shopify Store?
The most reliable and readily available solution to enable 2FA for your Shopify Store is to download the 2FA app available on the Shopify Appstore.
Download the 2FA app to access the below security benefits:
- Secure your Shopify store with OTP login. Verify the phone number of the user trying to access your store.
- Add an extra layer of security by configuring a Two-Factor Authentication method / Multi-Factor Authentication method. There are more than 15 trusted authentication methods available.
- Risk-based authentication ensures that if the user is already logged in from a trusted device/location/time, then he won’t be prompted again for authentication.
- Passwordless authentication can authenticate users only with the secondary authentication method without the need of entering a username and password.
- Fraud prevention: Keeps your Shopify store away from fake orders and automated bots.
- Session Management: Prevents sharing of accounts. Highly beneficial for paid subscription-based service providers. Users can only login from a single device at a time.
- Personalizations: You can customise the login widget. Also, any type of requirements will be fulfilled. miniOrange supports all types of customisations and personalisations.
- The most readily available and easiest solution to secure your Shopify store is to download a 2FA app and enable Two-Factor Authentication along with OTP Login for your store.
- It is very important to use a highly secure authentication method for the Shopify store.
- Two-factor Authentication not only helps in securing your store but also safeguards your store from fraudsters creating fake orders and spamming your store with fake authentication details.
- Session Management is very useful in the case of video/music streaming platforms or for platforms having paid subscription services.
- With User Behaviour based authentication methods, the users won’t be prompted to login based on parameters like the device being used, location/time of access etc.