What is G Suite IP Restriction?
G Suite is one of the favored user-friendly Cloud Technology, is easily accessible from any device or location, irrational to organizational access parameters. There are few aspects in Google Suite that can’t be easily handled around access control and device management, due to the frontline feature that Google always promises of “anytime, anywhere and with any device”.
Easy cloud access to G Suite also brings up a set of challenges associated with security concerns to stop your data from being accessed by unauthorized users protecting it from various sorts of cyberattacks. Maintaining the safety of such broad-driven cloud applications (Gmail, Google Drive) is one of the challenges within the modernized world. Here IP restriction comes within the frame and is considered one of the proven solutions for handling these sorts of use cases.
To get specific inference regarding what G suite IP restriction is and the way it works we’d like to urge clear about a few basic aspects:-
- What is IP Restriction?
- Why does your organization need IP restriction?
- G Suite Automated Security Measures
What is IP Restriction?
IP Restriction termed as Internet Protocol Restriction allows admin or organization owners to restrict access to their business data to respective users and employees only through the specified and registered IP addresses. Allowing or restricting access is often achieved with a separated IP as well as a variety of IP addresses. Enabling IP restriction ensures that your important data can’t be accessed at an unsecured public place or through an unregistered IP address.
Considering a real-time example, in a corporation you being an admin have white-listed your employee’s device’s [Mobiles, PC’s] IP addresses and accordingly permitted access to your organization data. Now suppose if an employee is using the white-listed device in an organization’s premises i.e he can easily access data and work around it accordingly. For a short time, if he tries to access data from his personal device being home, he won’t be allowed to access data as his personal device isn’t white-listed by admin and secondly, he’s not operating the device from the required location he’s alleged to be.
IP restriction is enabled for various security purposes like reducing redundancy, bandwidth issues, and handling control of websites with efficient recovery. If a user tries to log in outside the required range, it’ll throw an error and a specific employee/ user won’t be unable to login and access the info.
Why does your organization need IP restriction for G Suite?
Startups, mid-level organizations, and enormous enterprises are shifting over advanced cloud services to streamline their processing. G Suite, one of the foremost used cloud technologies, offers piles of services like Emailing, Google Calendar, Document — Presentation, file sharing, video apps, etc in a single package. As Google suite provides multiple offerings to numerous people directly, G Suite must cope up with multidimensional cloud computing security challenges. Although Google as a brand keeps no stone unturned to keep their users’ data safe with robust security protection, it still becomes difficult to cope up with distinct cyber threats within the cyber world.
Therefore, multiple cloud security companies came with the feature of IP Restriction for Google Suite. It enables the admin to shortlist IP addresses or a specific range of addresses, which then lets users transfer data or do further services from those registered IPs only. This IP restriction method indirectly prevents spoofing through manual defining of IP ranges.
G Suite Automated Security Measures provided by miniOrange:-
Following listed are security measures provided by miniOrange:
- Access Control — Access control specifies data control policies on the idea of location, device, IP address, and other means through which G Suite content is often accessed. It imposes conditional policies on customer’s Google for business accounts and creates a virtual secure environment.
- IP Restriction: Restricts user access from unknown IP addresses to ensure corporate data is accessible only through IPs defined by the IT admin.
- Geo (Location) Restriction: Here a selected geographical area is assigned, to stop corporate data from being accessed from unauthorized remote locations.
- Time Restriction: In time restriction, you as a corporation can fix specific timings, so hereafter any employee can access and work around corporate data within a specified time-frame. (e.g working hours)
- Browser Restriction: With miniOrange you’ll register a specific browser, so hereafter an organizational employee can access corporate data as long as he’s using the required registered browser
- Device Restriction: In Device Restriction user’s relatable devices like his mobile or Pc are going to be registered, if a specific user tries to log into the enterprise portal through unregistered or unknown devices he won’t be allowed to access
- DLP Policy- Data loss prevention standard policy is appended by miniOrange during this consolidated Google Security software. These policies make sure that employees won’t send confidential business information outside the business network. Whenever the G Suite solution detects the occurrence of such an incidence, it immediately blocks the user access and sends an alert mail to the business authority.
Being a neighborhood of the high-versed cyber world, it’s an important need of enterprises to adopt Google Security Solution. To manage advanced security for G suite with other multiple tasks becomes a daunting task for an organizational IT engineer. Though it’d be difficult to manage security norms it’s the necessity of the time considering trending cyber-attacks. So it’s better to approach security-as-a-service providers. There are few cloud security providers, which give top-notch security services. But before choosing any cloud Security Service provider confirm they did it in a confidential manner, with the simplest technical support at a budgeted price.